I have only been acquainted with two butlers in my lifetime; Alfred, the tall, gray haired, bespectacled gentleman in the employ of Bruce Wayne (aka Batman) and the loyal and devoted Mr. Carson of Downton Abby. So when I see various cruise lines including the services of a butler when booking one of their luxurious suites, (CelebrityCruises offers butler service when booking the Reflection, Penthouse, Royal, Signature, Sky and Celebrity Suites), it’s rather intriguing…and intimidating! If I have a butler, what am I supposed to do with him?
I am told that a dutiful and diligent butler generally picks up where the cabin steward leaves off (CelebrityCruises offers European-style butler service). Maybe it’s easier to think of him or her (yes, her) as your personal assistant! There are many services a butler can provide that will make your cruise vacation all the more extraordinary. All you need to do is ask!
A butler can:
· Book your shore excursions
· Reserve seats for the shows you’d like to see onboard
· Make your onboard dining reservations
· Serve you meals in your suite or on your veranda
· Serve you afternoon tea in your suite…along with cookies if you desire!
· Bring you a frothy cappuccino to sip while you read on the veranda (but I don’t believe he will read to you)
· Arrange for an in-suite cocktail party (what a way to impress your friends!)
· Deliver a board game or movie to your suite (along with a cheese platter and glass of wine)
· Send out your laundry or dry cleaning
· Shine your shoes
· He can even draw your bubble bath
You work hard all year; this is your vacation. Maybe having the services of a butler isn’t necessary. However, it definitely raises the level of luxury you will experience on your cruise vacation. And who is more deserving than you?